- Category: About Us
In developing and maintaining the website for Mindekirken, we go by an unofficial policy with respect to inclusion of personal information. We spell this out below both to make it clear and to invite discussion. This is a difficult issue to write about and we do not mean to come across as alarmist but in our role, we do have the responsibility to handle congregational information carefully.
Note, that unlike most website privacy policies, this mostly addresses the privacy of congregational information, not information from website visitors. We do not collect any information from website visitor except guestbook entries and normal aggregate hits logs. No visitor information is given or sold to others.
Feel free to contact us with comments, questions or concerns.
-- The Website MinistryTeam
We have four groups of people that are listed or referred to; staff, adult members, youth and missionaries. Information of concern includes names, email addresses, phone numbers and photos. Home addresses are never posted.
- For staff, we list names, email addresses (usually office emails), and office phone numbers. No home phones, etc. It is important that people be able to contact the staff and that access is all through the office.
- For adult members, we often list names when they are a contact for a group or activity that we are covering on the website. We do not list email addresses unless they have specifically given permission or if we are asked to do so. We do not list phone numbers. It is assumed that other members have the church directory or can call the office for phone numbers.
- For youth and children, we do not list full names, only the first name and initial of the last name. We do not list email addresses or phone numbers. Photo captions do not include full names and often do not include names at all. This is to protect them from the more dangerous types of people that can and do use the net to contact and take advantage of young people.
- For missionaries, we are very careful what, if anything, we list. Sometimes missionaries are in countries where they would be in danger if it were known that they are “missionaries” or even Christian. In some countries, it is actually illegal to be there as a Christian missionary and they could be imprisoned or deported. We don’t post info, even names, emails or country, without the explicit permission that missionary or from our staff or council person in charge of missions.
Some specific areas of our online functionality have additional guidelines.
- Mindekirken has a printed membership directory with names, addresses, email, etc which is only available to members and friends of Mindekirken. It is periodically distributed in print at the church. To request a copy or to add your information to this directory contact the office. This directory is not available online.
- When using photos of Mindekirken events or members, we use the following guidelines.
- Including photos in our site is a privilege for us, and we intend to respect and honor it.
- Photos are almost always of people in public spaces, at public events.
- We try not to post anything that would be embarrassing, objectionable or hurtful to anyone in the photo. If we know someone is shy about such things, we ask them before posting the photo.
- We will gladly provide credit for who took a particular photo if desired by the photographer, and we would certainly honor any copyright wishes or restrictions.
- We will gladly remove any photo immediately upon request.
In any case, if you see a photo that includes you or your child and would like it removed from the site, we would be glad to do so. Just notify the webmaster with the details.
Please be aware, that while we never post home addresses, there are a number of websites that provide white pages, or extensive listings of mailing addresses. There are also a number of people-finder type sites that help in locating people and their names, phone numbers, email addresses, etc. These sites have many sources of data and you can probably assume that you're in there somewhere.